For some reason, many small businesses miss the mark when it comes to creating a successful small business blog. Blogging is one aspect of marketing your business that is both simple and powerful. It is one of the tools you can use to boost your business website well ahead of your competitors.
So many times I have consulted with companies who have a blog but are not using it properly pii_email_ca406694fa91d858906c . When analyzing a client’s website, I will see a blog and think “Good stuff! They are blogging” but when I visit the blog I find the last post was August 2009 and maybe one or two posts every few months prior. That is a shame because using this very powerful marketing tool effectively can bring floods of buying customers to your website and gain you instant credibility and authority status within your market.
I have even seen blogs where there was one single post about the business service and asking visitors to leave a comment on their products. A blog is not a feedback form. Yes, you can ask for feedback and interact with your visitors, but that is not the purpose of the platform.
So, what does it take to create a successful small business blog?
- Commitment. You must decide if you will include this in your marketing strategy and then you must be committed to making it pay. It takes time and effort but the return on investment is huge.
- Originality. In the internet marketing industry we have a saying that “content is king”. You must be prepared to provide original content for your blog on a regular basis. If you want visitors to keep coming back, and to see you as an expert in your field, you must demonstrate that by providing a good amount of useful information and news about your niche.
- Consistency. This is the one that most small business owners struggle with but it is crucial to success. You must make regular and frequent posts. Once per month or once per year just will not cut it. A minimum of 2-3 posts per week is necessary. One per day is the optimum.
- Social bookmarking. Since each blog post is effectively a new page to your website, you can promote it as such. Every page and post of your blog is a new URL for you to send out to the internet world as a link. This is very powerful stuff.
- Syndicate. Getting your blog posts re-published and redistributed is easy through the use of plugins and built in features of most blogging software. This gives each page of content the ability to go viral. You can reach much further afield than just the scope of your website if you do this properly.
Every company should be involved in business blogging. Business blogging is one of the easiest ways to communicate with customers and prospects on the Web. It is also an effective way to build an online business, and strengthen your brand. Assigning a blogger to manage your blog can ensure that it is updated regularly.
Blogs can be setup and maintained easily. There are several blog services that will allow you to create a blog for free. Some blog sites offer design templates to give a blog a professional look. Operating a blog is fairly simple. You simply log into a blog site, enter the subject of your post, and the body of the post. Submit the post and you are done.
The key to a building a successful blog is to provide great content on a consistent basis. With several posts on the right topics, you can draw the attention of your target audience. Blogs can also help you foster relationships with new prospects. Posting to a blog on a regular basis can establish you as an expert, and ultimately help to increase sales.
Blogging can create a buzz about your business. The Internet is a crowded digital space. Everyone is either talking or reading about something online. With a blog, you can ensure that something positive is being posted from or about your business every day.